To All Concerned Trenton Citizens and Organizations:
In 2020 our city recorded a record 40 murders. Of that number, youth between the ages of 8-20 were among the victims and perpetrators of gun violence. Our children deserve better and our city deserves better! That’s why we are launching the Guns Down Gloves Up Initiative! This Initiative is a joined partnership with The Trenton Fire Department, Transformation Church of Trenton, Beast Mode Boxing & Fitness, The Black Ivy League, and the Ike Williams Boxing Academy. This is a FREE summer boxing program from mid June-mid August for youth between ages 8-17 in the Trenton area led by Trenton’s own, “The Champ”, Mike Hilton.
Our mission is to address issues of violence by building the block through boxing one kid at a time. We will accomplish this by offering our youth the following opportunities:
1. Teaching the Art of Boxing: This program provides a safe alternative to youth settling beef with bullets by teaching them the tried and tried art of boxing according to their unique skill level. We believe choosing gloves over guns helps stop violence!
2. Access to Mentorship: This program will give youth access to local mentors who will engage, encourage, and equip them to set goals and exceed them. We believe more mentors means more guidance and less violence!
3. Addressing Child-Hood Obesity: This program will promote health and fitness among our youth through the sport of boxing and other fun activities. This is one way we will address child-hood obesity in our community. We believe teaching youth to honor their bodies helps them better honor the humanity of others which can be a detractor of violence.
4. Emotional Awareness & Decision Making: This program will teach youth the importance of being aware of the ways emotions impact their decision making and how to process them in healthier ways. We believe that better emotional health can contribute to stopping violence.
5. Anti-Bullying, Conflict Resolution, & Self Defense: This program will discuss the effects of bullying, promote safer conflict resolution skills, and teach youth how to defend themselves. We believe that teaching youth safe ways to resolve conflict and defend themselves can help address the violence of bullying.
***To Register Kids Visit the Ike Williams Boxing Academy at 11 New Jersey Ave in Trenton.
Heres a few ways YOU can support the Guns Down-Gloves Up Initiative:
A. PARTNERSHIPS: We believe that collaboration not competition is key if we are to change the city for the better. So we invite YOU to partner with us by donating funds or resources to this important initiative. 100% of the funds will help cover program cost which includes 3 months FREE registration for 30+ kids, program shirts for every kid, boxing equipment, mask, sanitation wipes, no touch thermometers etc.
Donate By Sponsoring A Kid: $150.00 covers 1 child’s registration for the summer! ($50 per kid/per month)
Donate Towards Equipment Cost: Our goal is to ensure each kid has a program shirt, gloves, mouthpiece, hand wraps, and sports cup. We estimate that will cost an additional $60.00 per kid. Which means we need to raise another $1800.00.
Donate by Purchasing and Delivering the following items: No touch thermometers, lysol wipes or spray for sanitation, and face masks.
Donate Towards Certificate Completion Celebration: On Sunday August 29th, Transformation Church will host a certificate of completion BBQ for the kids and their families at Transformation Church in Trenton. Kids will receive certificates and all sponsors will be invited to attend. We estimate that we will need $2000.00 to help cover cost for food, special awards, and fun activities for the kids to enjoy.
Please make all checks payable to: Transformation Church of Trenton, 431 Pennington Ave, Trenton NJ 08618
B. PRAYER: We believe the “shooting and trigger” problem in our community is a spiritual and traumatic problem so we call on our prayer warriors to ask God to restore hope, healing, and peace among our youth through this initiative.
C. PRESENCE: We invite community members to come share words of inspiration and encouragement with our youth. We also welcome those who would like to help with daily sanitation efforts to ensure a safe environment for the children and staff.
To help please contact Tangela Wright at: email@example.com
Thanks in advance for helping us address violence by building the block through boxing one kid at a time.
Senior Pastor | Transformation ChurchEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org